27 January 2008

charlotte

Arches CP 300 gsm 14" x 10".

this is another pose of charlotte on the couch.

after the outline drawings, i start some color studies. these can go quickly or slowly, depending on the kind of problem i want to work with. it was a chill winter day and i primarily keyed off the cool blue greens out the window.

there is a genuine radiance and clarity in charlotte's demeanor, but also the turmoil and inwardness of her age. i am not yet sure how to wrap color around all that.

i had her on the couch and was bouncing the posing topic around a little; she would alternately laugh, smile, puzzle, ponder, daydream, or as here, roll up her pants cuff and make a scrutiny of me.

1 comment:

Suzanne McDermott said...

Hi Bruce!

I've had a link to your FABULOUS Handprint Watercolor site since I started my blog last year. I had no idea that you had a blog of your own work. This is very exciting and I'm looking forward to perusing your work. Thanks so much for creating such a phenomenal resource for watercolor. I've been referring to it for years.